Monday, December 11, 2006

I'm the Big Star Today

So - a lot has happened in the last week. I'm starting to sense a pattern in my blogging, although it's kind of tiring to sit down and try to recap a whole week in one post. Arg.

Anyway - the beginning of last week was relatively uneventful. On Wednesday, I had a brush with fame when a guy from the local news flagged me down as I was riding my bike home from work and asked if I would help him with a story on winter bike commuting. (Fast forward to today - I'm super nervous since he and his camera guy are supposed to be here in an hour to interview me and set me up with some sort of bike camera for my ride to work. More on that tomorrow for sure!)

I had an orientation thing at Ferris (in GR) on Thursday night and, for the first time in a long time, I actually felt a little bit like a student. I got to meet with most of the people from my 'cohort', which is the group that I will start and end the respiratory program with. At this time in two years, I will be getting ready to graduate and take the state certification exams. Crazy! I got to see the lab that I'll be working in on campus and also learn a little bit more about what respiratory therapists actually do. I'm having a hard time picturing myself in some of those roles and situations but I'm soooooooo excited to start! I was also able to register for my human anatomy class at GRCC (Community College) so I no longer have to drive to Big Rapids three times a week to fulfill that requirement. I'm very happy about that. I'm also very happy to be paying almost $200 less per credit hour (it's a 4 credit class) to take the class locally.

On Saturday, Betsy (Hobbins) and Becky (Husted) were here in GR for a much anticipated and overdue reunion. We met at my house and had lunch downtown before going out to do some shopping at the mall. It was so much fun - especially since we had so much more to talk about than crazy high school memories. Can't wait to do it again!! I also heard a rumor that a 10-year high school reunion may also be in the works...... yikes.

Saturday night brought a holiday party at Kim and Marc's. We had a great time, although I didn't see Steve the whole night since I had beached myself on the couch (aka "Gay Island" - don't ask....) next to the beer and candy. Thanks for a great party - and great meatballs!

Sunday was a relatively lazy day. Steve and I got up late and walked to the gas station for some coffee. On the way home, Steve heard the mewing of a kitty and just had to find out where it was coming from. I kept telling him it was a bird but he wouldn't believe me. Sure enough, out of nowhere comes this tiny little kitty, bounding through the snow. It was really cute - until it started following us home. We tried knocking on the door of the house that it came from and no one was home. In fact, it looked like no one had been home in a long time. So here's this little shit, running along in between us as we're walking home. I didn't want to bring it in the house because Fausto would freak out and probably kill it so we pawned it off on our only cat-less neighbor, promising to take it to the humane society in the morning. When we checked in with her last night, she had already given it a bath and a name. So Gizmo the kitten is our new neighbor and is very happy in his new warm home :)

My mom also came for a visit on Sunday and took us out for breakfast downtown. I ate way too much, especially after my meatball overdose the night before. Steve left for the Velo City shop ride when we got home from breakfast and my mom and I sat around, getting sleepy after having such a huge meal. I continued to sit around after my mom left, and eventually popped in a movie. Unfortunately it was Brokeback Mountain, which meant that I had to sit on the couch and cry for another half hour after it was done. Why couldn't I have just watched Shreck again?

So now you're caught up and I have to get ready for my big debut. OH yeah, and it's my birthday today, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home