Saturday, March 08, 2008

I Heart My Surly

Yeah..... sorry to fall off the face of the Earth, there. Work, school, blah blah blah.....

Today is my first official day of spring break so I thought I'd give the blog an little update. Like I said, school and work have been keeping me very busy. This semester has been a little crazy because some of my classes have been starting/ending at different times and most of them have been accelerated to fit the other ones in. I guess it will be this way until the end of the summer - oh yay. Things at Velocity have picked up to a record pace - we can't seem to work fast enough! It's amazing how many rims and wheels we send out of that place in a day. Word seems to be getting out.

Bike-wise, I've been getting some miles in by commuting to work every day and riding the trainer in my basement. I'm not too sure what my goals are going to be this year - I really have nothing to train for (not yet, anyway) and I really don't want anything to train for since my school schedule is likely to be so nuts over the summer. Last year's training for Rainier just about put me over the edge of my sanity so perhaps this would be a good year to just chill out and enjoy the time I have to play. One thing I'm really looking forward to is heading to NYC in May to do the Five Boro Bike Tour with Steve, my dad, and my brother. What a way to see the city for the first time!

Today was a good day. A little cold (wind chill about 10 degrees or so) but I still managed a three hour ride outside. What started out as a ride toward Middleville (south) with some friends turned into a solo ride to Rockford (north) for me. Riding north to meet the others gave me a taste of the wind conditions and I wasn't really in the mood to ride home into the wind so it was just me and the Surly. The promise of new toe warmers lured me up to Rockford but wouldn't you know that none of the three places I stopped had them?! Dang. I did get a chance to renew my love affair with the Surly, though. Stripped of all its commuting accoutrements (fenders, frame pump, studded tires, etc.) makes it a lean machine and we had a great time. Hope the weather is this great for next weekend's alleycat!

Last but not least - an explanation of FABG. I guess this may be my project this year. FABG = Fat Ass Be Gone. I've realized that I'm not that young anymore and things (i.e. my metabolism, dammit) are just not working the way they used to. So this is my project. As of today, I'm down about 9 lbs since January and I'm looking forward to the weather getting better so I can get out of my basement and do some longer rides outside. Maybe I'll run this year. Ew.... maybe I won't. Anyway - there ya go.


1 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger spartacus said...

wait a minute . . . you're not that young anymore?? guess that makes me ready for the home. thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home